Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Eating More + Cooking More = Healither Ideas

My blog title is more fitting then ever -- The Belly does Rule my Mind right now. Mostly this little human being I'm growing rules it most of the time.

I am hungry all the time. All the time! I'm also tired all the time!

A few weeks ago we ate a lot of fast food. I wasn't happy with the junk I was eating, but I was too tired to think about dinner and worry about planning and *gasp* actually cook something. We have a grocery budget of $80/week plus $40/week for restaurants. I also allocate $30 twice a month toward the co-op. We don't always use the co-op so that money just rolls over. During our eating out week, we actually didn't spend more than the cash we had, so on the money side, it was OK. On the health side? Not so much.

So over a week ago I vowed to eat at home more. Jason and I both need to eat better. I also need to plan plan plan. I used to be great at meal planning.

Trader Joe's is awesome. They make putting some meals together a real breeze. I usually get suckered into the sample dish they are preparing and wind up buying some weird things. Once - pretzel rolls for sandwiches. A few weeks ago? Cornbread & a Can of Chili.

Last night I made this easy dish.  Seriously - I mixed together the box of cornbread mix and can of chili. It took a lot of extra stirring. I put it in a 8x8 greased pan and baked it at 300 for 40 minutes. The Trader Joe guy LIED to me. He said he cooked it for 40-50 minutes. Men! No good for anything. It was a bit dry. I would recommend trying it at 30 minutes. After 20 minutes it wasn't quite done. It is still really good, even thought it's a bit dry. Nothing butter can't fix!

It makes 9 squares, about 225 calories each - yea, a little high. Hey, I'm eating for 1 and like 1/10 right now.

We had it with a baked potato. Good dinner, very filling.

So the past two weeks we have done much better with cooking & eating in.  It's still not completely all on the healthy side (Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dinner), but we're trying!

This week's coop was a great selection. I got Bananas, Cara Cara oranges, Fuji apples, Cherry Tomatoes, Lemons, Mangoes, (Bag of) Spinach, Broccoli, Asparagus, White mushrooms, and Green onions. Cabbage was available, but I just passed on mine. They donate any leftover produce.

I also ordered a bag of oranges & russet potatoes. I'm going to make twice baked potatoes this weekend and will use the green onions for that.I will probably make spaghetti this weekend and use the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms in that. Or roast the cherry tomatoes with something else. We'll eat all the fruit - love it all!

2 comments:

Loriness said...

Assuming that the picture above is one you took, you're baking in a glass pan. Glass pans tend to cook quicker than metal ones, so that might account for the difference between the recipe and your results. Just FYI. :)

MegG said...

Ooooohhhhhhh.....

I still think men lie. :)