Monday, April 15, 2013

Shopping for Baby

Wow there is a lot of stuff to get that the baby actually needs! It's crazy how expensive some things are (like the Fisher Price Swing, Jumperoo, Playmat, ect) and the Nursery furniture!

I'm sick of looking at cribs and changing tables and dressers and gliders. Jason & I found a nice set at Target that we like, and think will look good the next 40 years of our child's life. It's a 4-1 in crib so it will turn into a toddler bed, and then a headboard and footboard for a full size bed. It has a matching dresser and night stand also that should hold up in the long run. As crazy expensive as it is, if we only have to ever purchase ONE bedroom set, it should be high quality that'll hold up, right?

I started my registry at Babies R Us and Target. Online only right now adding things I come across in other blogs or pinterest, and the large items that are easy to look up and add. Such as the Fisher Price Luv U Zoo pattern of things. I don't expect anyone to actually shell out $120 for the baby swing, and actually will probably purchase that new, but all the other items range from $50-100 and it's crazy that people should buy that. I would hope they'll buy some clothes and the little things like the cloth diapers, bottles,and smaller toys. So I've been looking on Craiglist for things. I got a Space Saver High Chair & Stroller from CL so far. I keep my eye out on the Play yard and anything Fisher Price related. I also need to go check out Once Upon a Child in Mid Rivers. K says they have lots of play mats and other things in great condition.

The biggest issue is you can't see into the future to see what people will purchase for you. And I don't want to go on a massive spending spree the few weeks before the baby is born.

We also have already purchased our car seat. Diapers.com was having a sale and I didn't think I would be able to get it 15% off at another time. So we do have the Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat & extra base.

There's some little things to purchase from other websites. We decided on an ABC nursery theme and I ordered that last night. I'll take the blanket with me when I register to pick out some solid sheets.

We plan to cloth diaper and CottonBabies is having a sale on their Bum Genius 4.0s. We bought 12 cloth diapers last week. The plan is to have a stash of 30 or so. I also need to purchase an outdoor clothes rack and have it picked out, just need to order it. It seemed silly to order it when there was 10-inches of snow on the ground.

More to come -- more to buy.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That 4-in-1 crib is a GREAT idea. We got one when Matthew was born and well, needless to say, Baby #2 will be enjoying it next. One less big item to purchase for this one. Ultimately, Matthew will get all the furniture pieces when he gets his own place or room later down the road, but I bought a basic twin headboard cheap online for his big boy bed now since the full-sized headboard from the crib would be too big for the space we currently have. I also have been buying the bigger stuff off our registries and crossing them off as I get them, though my office did purchase our high chair (I didn't think we really needed that right away anyway). You'd be surprised what people buy. Sometimes it's a big item, sometimes it's something completely not from your registry. Just keep looking for good savings and get things as you see fit. We saved a ton on the travel system and got a great 2 for 1 deal at Target on a swing and bouncy seat, but I'm like you in thinking people won't buy those big ticket items.