Monday, December 2, 2013

Young Living Essential Oils

In March my friend Lani introduced me to the Young Living Essential Oils. I was skeptical of a few things, and just wrote a huge rant about the presenter that I decided to delete. In summary, oils are good for you. You should look into them. 

With the pregnancy and now with breastfeeding, I haven't been able to take some of my favorite drugs like Excedrin for Migraines and Mucinex with Speed (the one behind the counter that people use to make meth). I had to find other relief for the headaches, and most recently, my cold/ear drainage. 

A lot of people use Young Living Essential Oils. There are a lot of websites (like my favorite one), pinterest boards, and facebook pages from users who also make their own remedies. 

Breath Again Roll-on
For migraine relief, my number one go-to is an ice pack on my forehead and an ice pack on my neck. However, I found that adding peppermint, pan away, and armo siez helped the headache go away quicker. The site Baby Steps to Essential Oils offers these headache suggestions. YLEO also has some additional Roll-Ons for certain ailments like stress or headaches. You can also make your own roll-ons using the roller balls from YLEO. More on that later. 

Sometime around Grandpa's funeral, I caught a cold. Liam got the sniffles too. I used Lemon Oil on my throat to help, and it did, but it didn't work as well as my Breathe Again Roll-On and homemade Vapor Rub. My cold and ear drainage were gone within 2 days of the combo. Liam's snotty nose also cleared up - he only benefited from being close to me while I used the oils on myself. Oils are safe for kids, but in diluted amounts. There's an entire book about Babies and Oil, and even an oil called "Gentle Baby."  

I did for a few of the first days use non-meth Mucinex. The issues is a decongestant dries out your nose and as an unfortunate side affect, your milk supply. I saw my milk production slow down, no matter how much water I was drinking. The lower dose non-speed mucinex was also not helping. 
The homemade vapor rub has done wonders! I weighed 2 ounces of coconut oil into a glass jar and placed it in a hot water bath to melt the oil. I added the Option 1 oils and wish I would have added the Eucalyptus oil into it also. Give it one more kick. I mixed it well, let it solidify, and rubbed some on my feet at bedtime (and put on socks.) Not only did it soften my feet, it helped get rid of my cold and drainage. 

If you're interested in learning more about oils, contact me. I ordered Brig a Breathe Again roll-on and she attests that it made a difference! I also made lotion bars for myself and family. Another blog for another time. 

And because I must say this: I am not a doctor. I only use Young Living Essential Oils. Other oils are not the same quality. Each body reacts differently to oils and the statements above have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA.  You're on your own if you use them and your symptoms get worse. Sometimes you should go to the doctor - be smart about your health. 

1 comment:

kerwin said...

Interesting! If this stopped up ear business doesn't go away after I give birth, I will be contacting you. Though maybe being partially deaf with a newborn wouldn't be all that bad....