Friday, February 7, 2014

Napping Protests & Parental Choices

So I started this post ages ago. And obviously, since I didn't have any free time, I wasn't able to get it done. 

My child refuses to nap. It's such a struggle. He's sleep on average, 10.5 hours a day. Everything I read says he should be getting 15. HA! 

Sometimes I can luck out, and after an hour of trying and breastfeeding him to sleep, he'll be asleep for 2 hours. Of course, that first hour was on my lap, so I wasn't able to get anything done. He takes a bunch of one-hour naps throughout the day. Usually four. And usually in my lap. If I move him, he wakes. And he is a cranky little man when he wakes.

One day he'll go to day care, and hopefully they will fix him. Or I ruined him for day care providers for the first month or so.

Continuing....

He's napping! It's not perfect, but he will sleep 10-11 hours at night, and then take 2-3 hours of nap during the day, usually a nice chunk in the afternoon.

He's growing, he's five months old already! He weighs 16.2 pounds (40%) and is 26.25 inches long (47%). He's started to sleep better at night, and with the aid of our new camera, it's a lot easier to check on him when he is sleeping. Recently we've had some 8 hour sleeps! It's been amazing.

Instead of spending money on a lot of a baby monitor that has video, and a little screen, I did some more research on cameras that people are using as baby monitors. I decided on a Foscam camera. It's not the best camera out there, but for the price, it works really well. And you can download the iPad app so you can use it (and control it) on your iPad.

Here's some shots we've collected.
I caught Jason taking a nap!!

We've started to be very fortunate with the sleeping. He's soothing himself to sleep. I've put him down for both naps and nighttime while he's still awake. Most of the time he will play a little, and suck his thumb and then fall asleep. Every once in awhile he'll start crying and I'll have to go pick him up and nurse him some more.

He still has a few fussy moments here and there, but he's a very happy baby. He loves his Jumperoo, and he loves playing in his crib or on his play mat.

Playing. (In color because the lights are on!) 
I do want to get rid of the Rock 'N Play, he's almost out grown it, and I'm hoping that the crib transition is permanent. And the RNP only has a 20 pound weight limit. But he's all snuggled in there, so it's nice and comfy for him.

It's nice that he's been able to be home these first few months. Hopefully by the time I find an amazing job and get him into daycare it'll be past flu season and maybe he won't get sick too quickly. A gal can dream, right?
Trying to fall asleep, by playing.

Baby Food
We had to give Liam his first foods a week ago. It was prunes. And he liked it. Luckily we were able to scale back, and he hasn't needed them the past few days. However, it was a big milestone and he'll be eating food soon. I didn't want to give him non-milk before 6 months, but I was out of choices. The doctor wants me to wait a few more weeks, but he is ready. He has all the signs, and he ate the prunes up really well.

I plan to make my own baby food. It's actually not that hard and not that time consuming. It also can be much healthier. This website is amazing with tips and ideas. I actually have both the printed book and kindle edition. And most of the info can be found on the website. Even with buying a few extra things, like some dedicated none-BPA ice cube trays, it's much cheaper to make your own. They even make refillable pouches now so you don't have to buy that squeezable baby food.

And he's awake. Napped for 2 hours and 20 minutes. :)

But he fell back asleep.... so I let him be. He needs all his energy to give his babysitter a good workout tonight!




No comments: