Saturday, October 3, 2015

12 Weeks Left!

Just checking in. My own accountability.
12 Weeks until the new year.
Weight Checks - Note - I weigh myself on Saturdays, so I'm switching this to Saturdays.
September 16th  - 208.8 pounds
September 19th  - 208.0 pounds
September 26th - 208.2 pounds
October 3rd - 206.8 pounds

Remember how I mentioned that plateau? There it is. I've also decided it's mostly mental. I've lost 1.2 pounds over three weeks. But I've LOST, I could have gained. I need to stay FOCUSED on my goals.
  • I need to stay focused on my workouts. 
  • I need to stay focused on the food. 

Food
My diet isn't perfect. I eat mostly 21 Day Fix approved foods, and I cook 90% of my own food. But sometimes, I still want junk - I grew up on snacking on junk. I believe that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% fitness. And it shows. If I let myself shrink back into bad eating habits, the weight comes on quickly. A daily 300-calorie burn can only negate so much food, and I need an approximate daily 500 calorie deficit to lose one-pound a week. 

Things that are ~300 calories (that I might binge on)

  • One donut. Only 1. And if donuts are in the break room - how can you limit yourself one? 
  • 6 Oreos or 2-3 homemade cookies
  • 3 cups of SmartFood White Cheddar Popcorn. But it says Smart food!
  • Panera's  broccoli cheddar soup
  • Small Margarita
  • 2 Olive Garden Breadsticks (I had a twice that at lunch the other day.) 
  • and the most important -- the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino without Whip and made with nonfat milk is 300 calories. How much workout are you willing to put in to have one?
Just a few examples. It's easy to overeat while snacking, and really easy to rack up calories while eating out. I'm not sure I want to admit that my all time favorite food is the Chimichanga from the Mexican restaurant near my house. And it's smothered in Queso. We usually go there once every 2-3 months. And I just looked up the calories for a Chimichanga at a chain restaurant, 1,500 calories. Maybe I shouldn't eat those but once a year. 

Fitness
I'm ashamed to admit my fitness has been lacking. Yea. And I know I need to work out to help my weight loss. That 20% *is* a part of it. A 30 minute work out is only 2% of my day. I spend around 30% sleeping and 42% driving/working. I have room for 2%. I can only try to do better. 

The next four weeks:

  • Next weekend I am going to the Lake of the Ozarks with Liam and my parents. Jason will be left at home all alone (with Monday) to study.  
  • My parents are taking Liam Friday the 16th since I have Beachbody Super Saturday the morning of the 17th. I hope to get Grocery shopping completed before going to pick Liam up. 
  • And my parents are taking Liam the weekend of the 25th because it's the weekend before the PE exam. It's also Jason's birthday weekend so we'll probably go out to eat. But he'll still spend the weekend studying and I can spend the weekend 
  • Then it's Halloween weekend. I only really love Twix. We do have a Halloween party to attend, and will take Liam trick or treating. Otherwise I am not worried about Halloween. 
So far nothing big planned in November. Oh, except that holiday known as Thanksgiving. Which only centers around the *BIGGEST* meal of the year. 

Stay Tuned for the rest of my check ins!

1 comment:

kerwin said...

Ok, this is really weird inspiration, but I totally think about it when I want to eat junk. From the unlikely fitness inspiration, Chris Pratt:
"When I was way out of shape, the idea of using whitening strips on my teeth seemed terrible. I have to do that every day? I'll never do it. What you want is instant results when you're out of shape. You want your teeth whitened in 45 minutes with the use of lasers. But when you're in shape, you know it's the result of doing a little bit every day. Moments aren't just moments. A moment might be a week or a month. So instead of 'Boy, I'd love to eat this hamburger right now,' I'm considering a little further into the future. I'm thinking, 'I eat that hamburger and that's 1,200 calories, and I'm gonna work out tomorrow and burn 800 calories. I may as well eat a salad here, still do that workout, and then I'm actually making progress.'"

The part about the calories at the end of the quote really stuck with me. Up until this point, I had basically been working out with the motivation to burn off the extra treats I had consumed, which is the equivalent of a hamster wheel of weight loss. You get absolutely nowhere. I realized that I could actually workout less if I just ate right, and that was really the motivation I needed to get my diet in check. I think the percentages you quoted are somewhat true, but you can lose weight if you just mind your food and don't exercise, but you can't lose weight if you exercise and don't mind your food intake. So, I think if it as 100% diet. And then the exercise on top is the bonus. Sorry about the world's longest comment.