Sunday, August 19, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

Last week I made Baked Potato Soup.               It's very simple.
  • 5 lbs russet potatoes, diced, NOT peeled
  • 5 tablespoons garlic
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 64 ounces chicken broth or stock
  • 16 ounces cream cheese
  • bacon, sour cream, chives or shredded cheese for garnish
Put the potatoes, garlic, onion, and chicken broth in a crockpot All. Day. Long. (8 hours)

You can put the mixture in the food processor, but I used my Cuisinart immersion blender to mix it. If you don't own an immersion Blender, well, there's no reason not too. I use it for EVERYTHING.

After getting the onion & potatoes pureed, mix in the 2 bricks of cream cheese. This recipe was originally reported as "amazing" on Pinterest because it didn't have a heavy cream or milk product in it. Um... ok. Cream Cheese = Milk Product in a Heavy Cream form. Ok.

The soup is amazingly bad for you. If you weren't able to tell by the one whole pound of cream cheese. 

The soup without fancy toppings is not that flavorable (I added pepper to the crock pot also). I would recommend the chives and bacon bits. This recipe would make a good Pot-Luck side dish. You could add less broth and make it more chunky. It was super easy (aside from making Jason scrub 5 pounds of potatoes, and dicing the potatoes... and using the immersion), and is a hearty meal for the winter. Next time I make this, I'll make half the amount, and keep it a little thicker. It'll make a good side dish with chicken or steak.

No comments: