Thursday, November 8, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa

Who knew you could eat quinoa for breakfast? This BeachBody recipe (modified) is really great! Healthy and low calorie and low fat. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk. Can substitute almond, soy, or rice milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
3/4 cups fresh berries
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp honey

Directions
Serving Size: Makes 3 Servings
1. Combine milk, water, cinnamon, and (rinsed) quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.

2. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
3. Put 1/4 cup berries in 3 serving dishes. Place 1/3 of quinoa over berries. 
4. Drizzle preferred sweetener over each serving.


It actually was really good. I keep forgetting to rinse my quinoa when I cook it. I wrote on the front of the box with a Sharpe "RINSE" to remind me the next time. The texture is different, but it does remind me of eating oatmeal for breakfast. 

I used Trader Joe's Organic Quinoa (cost effective if you're shopping around) and have frozen blueberries. I heated my first dish 30-seconds to defrost the blueberries. 

The next morning I heated the dish a 90 seconds to heat it up. Tasted just like the day before. 



No comments: