So I have been wanting to do some more bulk cooking. And I figured I'd give Stuffed Shells a try. They are time consuming so I wanted to do a bulk. Liam has been cooperating with his napping so I've been able to get more things done while he's napping.
I looked on pinterest for recipes and using some of the basics I found, here's mine.
Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 1 15-oz. container ricotta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (OR, 2 ounces of fresh spinach leaves chopped, and sauteed with garlic.)
- Salt & Pepper
You'll also need
- A large box of jumbo pasta shells
- Additional shredded mozzarella
- Around 4 cups (20-26 ounces) of Pasta Sauce (I made my meat sauce, without the meat.)
- Cook pasta shells to al dente, you want them firm enough to handle. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While pasta cooks, in a large bowl, stir together ricotta, mozzarella, egg, spinach, and S&P, garlic to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. (You can do this first, but my oven preheats quickly and I'm slow at stuffing shells.)
- Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stuff shells with cheese mixture and place in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake about 10 minutes longer, until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
I made these in bulk. I did the filling times four and slowly boiled shells and stuffed them. I used two full boxes of jumbo shells. It resulted in 86 shells. I made a set of 20 in a 9x13 which we ate for dinner. Then I made four foil pans full, a 20-count, two 15-counts, and a 16 count.
|Spinach & garlic, mixed into the ricotta cheese mixture.|
|Stuffing shells & adding more pasta sauce|