This is probably the fourth or fifth time I've redone my Stuffed Pepper recipe. My version 11 months ago included ground beef and I had estimated the Portion Control. This time I measured every ingredient in order to have the proper container count. I actually double this recipe so I can have 5 sets of 4 peppers - I freeze them in groups of four to defrost and bake later. They are delicious, but a little time consuming to make. If I can make a big batch over a weekend than I have meals ready to go.
Note - when making stuffed peppers - you *must* boil the peppers to soften them up. Otherwise the peppers don't cook thoroughly and still have a little crunch to them.
- 10 bell peppers of your color choice
- 20 ounces pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 onion (about a 1 cup diced)
- 1/2 diced pepper
- 1.5 cups of brown rice, cooked just shy of done
- 1 (15 ounce) can of Black Beans, drained/rinsed
- 1-2 cups of Corn, drained/rinsed if canned, I prefer frozen
- 1 (15 ounce) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups of your favorite shredded cheese
- Spices - Chili Powder, Paprika, Cumin, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, ect.
- Cut the caps of the peppers and clean out. Pre-cook the peppers by placing in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook brown rice, or quinoa according to directions, just shy of done because the rice will continue cooking when the stuffed pepper is cooked.
- Brown ground meat and season with chili powder (1 tbsp), and 1 tsp each: paprika, cumin, and garlic. Set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse black beans. If using canned corn, drain and rinse also. Drain the tomatoes.
- Combine in large bowl: meat, tomatoes, corn, rice/quinoa, beans, sauce, and cheese. Season as needed.
- Stuff peppers with filling. (About 1-cup per pepper).
- Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes.
- If frozen - defrost 24 hours.
Each Pepper counts as 1.5 Greens, 1/2 Red, 1 Yellow, and 1/2 Blue.
For lunch, this is perfect. For dinner it's a little light. However, we've been eating egg sandwiches before bed in order to get in extra Red & Yellows and fuel our body before sleep.