Thursday, March 27, 2014

Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells

I love Italian food. Just love it. Thanks to my mom! I add garlic to everything. Except breakfast items.

So I have been wanting to do some more bulk cooking. And I figured I'd give Stuffed Shells a try. They are time consuming so I wanted to do a bulk. Liam has been cooperating with his napping so I've been able to get more things done while he's napping.

I looked on pinterest for recipes and using some of the basics I found, here's mine.

Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Ingredients


Filling/Stuffing

  • 1 15-oz. container ricotta
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (OR, 2 ounces of fresh spinach leaves chopped, and sauteed with garlic.) 
  • Garlic
  • Salt & Pepper
You'll also need
  • A large box of jumbo pasta shells
  • Additional shredded mozzarella
  • Around 4 cups (20-26 ounces) of Pasta Sauce (I made my meat sauce, without the meat.) 
Instructions
  1. Cook pasta shells to al dente, you want them firm enough to handle. Drain and set aside to cool.
  2. While pasta cooks, in a large bowl, stir together ricotta, mozzarella, egg, spinach, and S&P, garlic to taste.
  3. Preheat oven to 375ºF. (You can do this first, but my oven preheats quickly and I'm slow at stuffing shells.)
  4. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Stuff shells with cheese mixture and place in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
  5. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake about 10 minutes longer, until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
I made these in bulk. I did the filling times four and slowly boiled shells and stuffed them. I used two full boxes of jumbo shells. It resulted in 86 shells. I made a set of 20 in a 9x13 which we ate for dinner. Then I made four foil pans full, a 20-count, two 15-counts, and a 16 count. 


 Spinach & garlic, mixed into the ricotta cheese mixture.
Stuffing shells & adding more pasta sauce


No comments: