Sunday, January 25, 2015

21 Day Fix Stuffed Peppers

I love Stuffed Peppers. Jason LOVES LOVES stuffed peppers. It's what he brought to the relationship, actually. I tried to make them healthier with ground turkey. He didn't care for the change. Because I love him, I went back to beef. 


I had to change up this recipe a bit from the 21-Day Fix SUPER friendly one I found online. We don't have lean beef in our house. We have a quarter of a grass fed, non-hormone raised cow. So while not the leanest meat, it can still be healthier than store bought beef. 

She also premade a lot of things and then measured. I'm all about "throw in a whole can of corn and see how it turns out." Turns out I made 10 peppers, so I'm not completely sure on the containers. I have probably overestimated the containers. However, I kept this recipe as if the mixture divides nicely into 6 containers. It would also depend on the size of peppers you are able to find. 

I cooked six and froze four for later. I prepped these the night before so they just had to be put in the oven. It is not an easy prep process!  

Note - when making stuffed peppers - you *must* boil the peppers to soften them up. Otherwise the peppers don't cook thoroughly and still have a little crunch to them. 
Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients

  • 6 Sweet bell peppers of your color choice
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef, seasoned with 21 Day Fix Southwestern Seasoning 
  • 1/2 Cup Dry/1.5 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa, cooked just shy of done
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of Black Beans, drained/rinsed
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of Corn, drained/rinsed
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef, seasoned with 21 Day Fix Southwestern Seasoning 
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of petite diced tomatoes 
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce 
  • 1 cup of your favorite shredded cheese


Directions


  1. Cut the caps of the peppers and clean out. Pre-cook the peppers by placing in boiling water for 5-10 minutes. 
  2. Cook brown rice, or quinoa according to directions 
  3. Brown ground meat and season with Southwest seasoning (See 21 Day Fix book). Set aside to cool.
  4. Drain and rinse black beans and corn.  
  5. Combine in large bowl meat, tomatoes, corn, rice/quinoa, beans, and sauce.
  6. Stuff peppers with filling.
  7. Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes. 
I counted it as 1 Red, 2 Yellow, 2 Green, 1/2 Blue. As mentioned above, that's per 6 peppers. It's probably less since I split the filling into 10 containers. 

21 Day Fix Stuffed Peppers

No comments: