Monday, September 3, 2012

Use What You Have

I think it's too easy to let food go bad and or not remember to use certain leftovers for whatever. The Food Co-op gives me so much food that I have to work harder to use it all. It's not like making a grocery list and buying what you need (especially portion wise.) I'm given random things like Mangos or Cauliflower or Fresh Green Beans.

Its also easy to wind up with a lot of extra veggies from salads or pizza making. I recommend making a "Garbage Omelet".

I mixed 4 eggs with a little milk, added all the goodies, and then 3 more eggs on top of that. My goal was a frittata like item, but it wasn't working. I had to flip it in half to get it fully cooked. The garbage omelet made four servings, and used up a lot of leftover random things.

Also on the menu this week was roasted red potatoes & roasted cauliflower. I did this tonight with the steaks Jason grilled. I looked up on the food network recommendations for making these.

Roasted Red Potatoes:
Dice Potatoes
Tossed with Olive Oil, placed on Foil Lined Baking Sheet
Sprinkle with Garlic & Italian Seasoning
Bake 35 minutes at 500 degrees.

Roasted Cauliflower:
Break up cauliflower, cut in half. Large pieces are better.
Toss with Olive Oil & juice from 1-2 freshly squeezed lemons.
Sprinkle with Garlic.
Bake 15 minutes at 500 degrees.
Sprinkle with Feta Cheese once plated.

No comments: