Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mom's Carrot Casserole

Many many many years ago, I remember eating mom's carrot casserole. She didn't make it often, but when she did it was one of my favorites! (Along with Texas Potatoes, Chicken 'n Rice, and Lasagna.)

So maybe a year or so ago I thought I'd attempt it. It didn't turn out well. Instead of a smooth and creamy cheese & carrot mixture, it was like carrot, cheese, and sand. The carrots weren't mushy enough and were kinda gritty. Total fail. And big disappointment. My taste buds had much higher expectations and I totally let them down.

So tonight - attempt number two. Instead of using my Ninja to mush the carrots, I broke out my food processor. (Bridal Shower gift from Mom & Grandma!) Every girl should own one of these. It's a kitchen must have!

I already have high hopes for my carrot casserole. The cooked carrots & butter was a much smoother consistency. And I'm not sure what recipe I found online last time, but I know I didn't look for my mom's recipe.

Mom's Carrot Casserole
A Paula Dean approved recipe (because it has a stick of butter)
  • 1lb carrots, peeled & sliced
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups grated cheese
Cook the carrots in boiling water until tender. Around 15-20 minutes.
In a food processor pulverize the carrots and butter together. Add eggs & milk until blended.


Add Cheese & mix by hand. (I dumped into another bowl and let it cool another 10 minutes so the cheese didn't automatically melt.)
 
Dump mixture into a grease casserole dish.
Back at 350 for 40 minutes.

ENJOY!! :)
 
I had to cook it a little longer and recommend 50-55 minutes. You want it to brown a little on the top.

No comments: