Sunday, January 11, 2015

Grilled Chicken & Homemade Salsa

Keeping it moving with the 21-Day Fix. I love Salsa. Especially restaurant salsa. I could drink it. Since jarred salsa is not allowed on the plan, I had to dig up a homemade recipe. 

Salsa Chicken with Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes, and Brown Rice
Ingredients

  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • 1/2 whole Lime Juice (I used 1/4 cup juice)

Preparation Instructions
Note: this is a very large batch. I used my 14-cup food processor.

  • Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like. 
  • Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.

I used this to marinate and bake chicken in. The cilantro really helps with the flavor. 

I did some other marinades last week. I particularly love the non-oil one. 


Lemon-Oregano Marinade

Grilling Chicken - Inside! 
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic (or 1 fresh squeezed clove.) 

Multiply it a few times to make what works. It has a great flavor though and it can be strong. 

Asian Marinade
Note - 21-day friendly, but very delicious and adds an amazing sweet flavor to the chicken. 

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or a couple cloves) 
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO
  • Squirt of Honey
  • Dash of Worcestershire

Mix well together (I shake in a bag), add the chicken and let it marinade for 2-3 hours. 

Note - I cut my chicken breasts into 4-ounce pieces and then I "filet" them open since the breasts can be so thick and they would cook unevenly. Or dry out before the inside was completely cooked. 

No comments: