Keeping it moving with the 21-Day Fix. I love Salsa. Especially restaurant salsa. I could drink it. Since jarred salsa is not allowed on the plan, I had to dig up a homemade recipe.
|Salsa Chicken with Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes, and Brown Rice|
- 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
- 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
- 1/2 whole Lime Juice (I used 1/4 cup juice)
Note: this is a very large batch. I used my 14-cup food processor.
- Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you'd like.
- Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour.
I used this to marinate and bake chicken in. The cilantro really helps with the flavor.
I did some other marinades last week. I particularly love the non-oil one.
|Grilling Chicken - Inside!|
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic (or 1 fresh squeezed clove.)
Multiply it a few times to make what works. It has a great flavor though and it can be strong.
Note - 21-day friendly, but very delicious and adds an amazing sweet flavor to the chicken.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or a couple cloves)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- Squirt of Honey
- Dash of Worcestershire
Mix well together (I shake in a bag), add the chicken and let it marinade for 2-3 hours.
Note - I cut my chicken breasts into 4-ounce pieces and then I "filet" them open since the breasts can be so thick and they would cook unevenly. Or dry out before the inside was completely cooked.