I love hummus. I can eat it with a ton of veggies, lots of pita chips, those little bagel chips.... more pita chips. Since it's ok on the 21 Day Fix, I thought I'd make my own. I found a basic hummus recipe and plan to dress it up with either a roasted pepper or avocado. Or extra garlic.
Tahini is hard to find. My Walmart doesn't carry it, but Schnucks carried *one* brand in the Ethnic aisle. Luckily it's not too expensive and goes a long way. One $7 jar will make 5-7 hummus recipes. You can make your own and I found a recipe here.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), reserve liquid
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame butter)
- Sea salt & Pepper (to taste; optional)
- Roasted Red Pepper
- Extra Garlic
- Place chickpeas, lemon juice, oil, and garlic in food processor or blender and pulse until chickpeas are mashed.
- Optional: Add in the "extra" item you might want to flavor it with. I added one avocado this time.
- Add tahini; pulse for 1 minute. If hummus is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea liquid. Add salt if desired.