Friday, March 24, 2017

21 Day Fix Burrito Bowls

A few months ago this video kept popping up on my Facebook feed. (It's safe to click, really, I'm not rick roll-ing you.) The recipe looked simple enough (click here for it); and it looked delicious and clean. I figured I'd give it a chance. 

It has now become my favorite lunch item. It is super easy to prep, and you can pre-prep and freeze extra peppers/onions mixture and the chicken. I used the portion control containers and measured it the first couple of times, but then learned that if I make the right amount of rice, it's easy to split it into four containers. I no longer use cheese and use avocado instead. 

Easy Lunch Burrito Bowls
Ingredients: 
  • 1 medium or half large red onion
  • 3 Bell Peppers (I prefer one red, one yellow, one orange)
  • 16 ounces chicken breasts (for 4 Red containers. Double if you want 2 Reds at lunch)
  • 1 can black bean
  • 2 cups prepared brown rice
  • 1/2-1 cup Salsa
  • Taco Seasoning
  • Olive Oil
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
  2. Line one 8x8 glass dish with foil & spray; and spray a 9x13 glass dish with nonstick spray. 
  3. Cut the peppers and onions into strips and toss with 1 tbsp of oil and 2-3 tbsp of taco seasoning. 
  4. Place the peppers and onions in the 9x13 glass pan. 
  5. Place the chicken in the 8x8 glass dish and sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of the chicken. Top  each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. 
  7. Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips or dicing into cubes. 
  8. Add a 1/2 cup of brown rice to 4 food storage containers. Add 1/2 cup black beans, cooked peppers and onions, and chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro, cheese (optional), and a lime wedge. 
  9. Store in the refrigerator (and enjoy any extras immediately). Can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days. Heat up the bowl, then serve with optional avocado. 
Notes: 
The video and instructions show everything being put on a baking sheet. I did that the first time and didn't like how it turned out. My peppers and onions stuck to the foil, the chicken seemed dry (maybe I overcooked it?) So the next time I used glass baking dishes. One for the veggies and a foil lined one for the chicken. This worked better. I could also monitor if one finished first and take that one out so I didn't overcook either ingredient.

No comments: