Thursday, March 23, 2017

Milk Tea for Nursing Moms


When I was pregnant with Liam, I was introduced to pregnancy tea, and then after his birth, milk tea.

My favorite tea company, The Republic of Tea, makes the pregnancy tea that I drank during both pregnancies. It helped with nausea and satisfied my sweet tooth craving. The get maternal (herb tea for pregnancy) contains organic Rooibos (leaf), raspberry (leaf), stinging nettle (aerial parts), ginger (root), alfalfa (leaf), parsley (leaf). Other ingredients: natural mango flavor, black limon.

I have no idea what most of those things are. But the tea is delicious, and safe for pregnant ladies. The Republic Teas quickly became my favorite teas to drink. My all time favorite is the Ginger Peach Green Tea and sometimes I turn it into an iced tea. 

I was given Mother's Milk Tea to use after birth, during breastfeeding. I have given away samples too. It has a sweet, slightly bitter with a distinct licorice-like taste. I don't like licorice, but I enjoy this tea. I don't add anything to it, and drink a glass every afternoon. 

It has fennel seed, anise seed, coriander seed, spearmint leaf, lemongrass leaf, lemon verbena leaf, althea root, blessed thistle herb, and fenugreek seed in it.

Finally Republic has made a nursing tea. So before I bought a whole bunch of something I didn't know I would like, I emailed the company and asked for a sample. And they said "Sure" and sent me one! Their new herb tea is made with organic fenugreek seeds, organic cinnamon and organic carrot. The cinnamon makes this tea. I love cinnamon. It's like the garlic to my baking world. I put cinnamon in my pancakes and Chocolate Shakeology, and anything else baking related.

Verdict? I like them both. The cinnamon is nice addition. There's no licorice smell or flavor. And while I don't mind Mother's Milk licorice flavor, I would prefer the cinnamon flavor.

How do they work? I am only breastfeeding in the morning and before bed. I don't pump and Benjamin gets formula during the day. I drink a cup of tea in the evening and one in the late afternoon. I also limit my caffeine (no caffeine now), and drink 100 ounces of water a day. I still have breast milk, so that's as much as I can offer to how the teas are working.

Remember Moms - Fed is Best. Doesn't matter if it's 100% breast feeding, 100% formula or a mixture. Do what works for you, your body, your child, and especially YOU.


No comments: