Thursday, March 2, 2017

Baby Benjamin's Birth Story

I never got around the posting Benjamin's birth story. It was VERY different than Liam's 3 day birth experience. I made some inappropriate jokes that I hope he just slides right down the birth canal and comes out in two pushes. In summary, he kinda did. 

As I started to get closer to my due date, I started to have panic and anxiety attacks. At the end of September I went back on Zoloft in order to help control my anxiety. I also had a major work change I was dealing with - my boss left and I was adjusting to a lot of changes. It was a very difficult time in my life. (I can say that since returning to work things have been going very well. I'm still on Zoloft, I still see my therapist, but things are better without all those pregnancy hormones and not having to worry about everything I eat.) 

The story of Benjamin's Birth 

I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday (October 19) and was 1-2 cm dilated! Already farther along than with Liam. I was 25% effaced and my doctor stripped my membranes to help. The good news was if I progressed a little more then I would be able to skip the induction drugs and go straight to a foley bulb! Even better news -- she said I could eat whatever I wanted!!! I still ate my sensible lunch, but we got Chic Fil A for dinner. I had french fries with my sandwich.  

I also had a therapy session afterwards. I wound up talking about expectations. Not that I have unrealistic expectations, but that I don't always verbalize my expectations and then am disappointed when they aren't met. I've carried this realization with me since. Communication is 110% a priority in my marriage. 

I then headed back to work to wrap up. After work mom came and picked up Liam. Melissa adjusted her work schedule so she could help watch him. Very appreciate to have family close by to help. Jason and I had dinner (CFA!) and wrapped up everything we haven't done the past few weeks. Like Jason vacuumed. And we packed.

I was told I would get a call between 5 and 9 am on Thursday for my induction. I was fourth on the waiting list for induction. So we attempted to head to bed early. 

Thursday October 20th 
They called at nine, right as Jason was dropping Monday at the kennel.
We wound up getting to the hospital around 10AM.
I got checked in and up to the room about 11AM.
I'm still dilated between 1.5 to 2 cms.

I was allowed to order lunch. My doctor had given me the go ahead to "ignore" the gestational diabetes diet and I could order what I wanted. I got the pizza. It was delicious!

While waiting for lunch I talked with my resident about getting a foley bulb and other options. 

At noon the evil nurse bitch (really, absolutely no bedside manner) came to put the foley bulb. I wound up already being at a 4 so I didn't need it!! I ate lunch and then they were going to start the pitocin if my contractions hadn't started.

At 2pm they started pitocin. Jason and I took a walk around the floor, twice. There wasn't a lot to see. We watched some construction going on at the front of hospital and talked about shoring and safety, you know, the normal things laboring women think about. There were some waiting room warriors. They had Chic Fil A. (Good thing I had it the night before, otherwise there might have been a scuffle...) 

I started to have more frequent contractions around 3pm. At 4pm I was dilated to 5.5 and having regular contractions. I was uncomfortable but not in pain. I wanted to wait a little longer to get the epidural. I had the epidural at 4 cm with Liam. It wasn't because of pain but because I'd been uncomfortable for days.

We facetimed with Liam around 6:30-7pm. I'm not sure how far along I was, but I was starting to feel a lot more painful contractions. I wound up getting the epidural around 9pm. I was dilated to a 7 - almost too late to get one. I was in a ton of pain and it felt like it took forever to get that epidural in correctly. Once it was in I felt better. It felt like only minutes later that BAM, I was at a 10. But I guess it was maybe 10:30pm. They called my doctor in right before 11pm. She got there around 11:15. I was in a lot of pain. The epidural wasn't doing much, and you can only push that button so many times. 

I got my legs up and ready. They were waiting for a few extra nurses from the NICU unit, but my doctor looked and said "If you need to push, go ahead and push". She could already see Benjamin - he had descended down the birth canal on his own. I had Jason run and grab a wet wash cloth because I remembered I needed one the last time with Liam. I went to push. I gave 2 good pushes, a really crappy 3rd one, and then one good push and HE WAS BORN. It was amazing. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I didn't need the silly washcloth. They put him on my chest right away. It was a really special moment. I didn't get that moment right away with Liam due to complications. 

Everything went smoothly after that too - I had afterbirth complications with Liam and am glad I didn't have those. I didn't even tear. It was an amazing birth experience. I had remained relaxed during most of the day and "hard parts" by listening to my iPOD and using essential oils. My nurses kept commenting how good my room smelled from the Thieves spray and Stress Away I was using. 

I couldn't have asked for it to go any better or quicker. Liam came to meet his little brother the next night and we went home Sunday. In the past four months he's been a great big brother. His favorite part is when Benjamin smiles at him. 

Benjamin Russell was born Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 11:24PM. He weighed 7 pounds 5 ounces, and was 19.50 inches long. 

Jason's dad was named William Russell. So Liam (William Patrick) got William, and Benjamin got Russell. And now our family is complete. :) 

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Thank you for sharing! I love you!